One of the largest street festivals in Europe, the Notting Hill Carnavale, was outlined by a parade route that snaked its way by about 150 feet from my (via Chris Yang) place. One million people filed into my neighborhood for the occasion wearing feathers and sparkle and neon. They closed the metros around the area, and the neighbors and local businesses actually board up their yards and windows. The music and general debauchery could be heard from about noon on -- trying to study in the morning was quickly sidelined when I realized that the pulsating afro-carribean music was already feeling like there was a concert IN my apartment. A couple of law school friends came over, and we hung out on the balcony of the apartment watching the festivities, and then launched out into the crowds for some plaintains and beer, some dancing in the street, some fighting the crowds (which, at times, were so thick that not only could I NOT move, but my rib cage was being pushed in... Didn't like that part...)
Anyhow, it was a true Euro Blast.
London life seems to agree with me. Chris is amazing -- and his place is in what I would consider the best place in London. Lots of locals, no real tourists. A coffee shop with Joseph, who serves amazing latte's and cheese egg mushroom bagels in the most charming courtyard I usually sit there for hours. I love the walking -- gonna start walking through Hyde Park to school every day while the weather holds instead of taking the bus. Sigh. Explaining it makes it seem even better...
However, I do check this blog at least once a day since I miss you all sorely. I love that the women in my life are you guys... and I am really proud of you all and the people you are! Oh crap, I am turning into my mother.
Oh, I also cut my hair short... Pictures to follow. I will be in Paris and Normandy this weekend being a history nerd and visiting battlefields. Love it!
5 comments:
Hello Amy!
It's Mario from Trento! Do you remember me? Ely(my girlfriend) and I should be in London from Oct,5th to Oct,7th. Maybe we could meet for a coffee or something. A nice occasion to chat and catch up...even though I always read Pepperdine girls' blog and Jenny's blog, so I am quite updated. Have you ever been in our blog? You find the link on Jenny's blog for sure. Bye!
...and I forgot to say...I agree with you! LONDON IS GREAT! I love it! Do you live in Notthing Hill? (^_^)
i am so jealous!! in a positive, i am happy for you kind of way of course :) please give chris a big hug from me- i am so glad that worked out so perfectly (you living with him). keep the euro tales coming!
HI MARIO! Jenny and I were seriously JUST talking about our trip to Venice- so fun.
Mario -- Of course I remember you! I was actually just asking Jenny for your email...
I would love to take you to dinner while you are here. My number is 07942 354 105 -- or, you can email me at amydilbeck@gmail.com
Great!
And, yes -- I do live in Notting Hill.
See this? Blogs uniting people across the globe!!!
Looks like you're having so much fun amy! Did you know many of these fellow law students BEFORE you went to London?
I'm not sure the London reunion is going to happen...
Joce doesn't think she can get away from work and this fall is proving to be ridiculously busy with work and home. Ugh!
Post a Comment