Friday, July 20, 2007

My first guitar performance!

Papa celebrated his 75th last weekend in true Colvard style. It was a surprise -- and ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY people showed up...

It really was the cutest thing to see his face when he stepped out of the car. He was stunned, and quite speechless. Two things I am quite unused to.

So, what was the entertainment, you might ask? The grandkids, of course. When we tried to make objection, our Nana simply replied, "Do it for your Nana." That gets me every time. Cas read a poem she wrote about Pap's life, Jake and Nick dressed up like Pap and did Papaisms... things he says all the time, like: "Balls, balls, cried the Queen. If I had two, I'd be the King!" and "I put in hours where they put in minutes." And I sang Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried."

Most every memory I have of my grandpa is connected to a Merle Haggard song, so I thought it was only appropriate. As Pap says, "Merle's just got that tear in his voice." I was actually quite nervous about it, but I have been tinkering around with the damn thing for 5 years now -- thought this might actually get my butt in gear to take the final step and play and sing for someone other than myself. This is me practicin' on the porch and Mom and Dad's before the event. I look sexy, yes?

Nicole was with me, thus the great photos. Lord knows I mostly point and shoot.

6 comments:

heather b said...

whoo hoo. sexy amy!

what a great story. i'm sure your papa enjoyed every minute of it!

i'm impressed with the guitar action, too!! nice job.

Jocy May said...

i got a little lump in my throat just reading about this great event- i would have been an emotional reck! i'm sure your grandpa loved all of his grandkid's performances :)

Jenny said...

It WAS a surprise and he was already wearing THAT! Your grandpa is hilarious..love it.

And you do look adorable..too bad the 'show' wasn't caught on video. It would have been fun to see and have you post!

Great post Amy!

amyrenee said...

Well, since the man just puts on whatever Nana lays out for him with no comment or argument, she knew it was comin', and she dressed him.

One of his gifts? A blue hat to complete his collection of colors. :)

alisha said...

That photo should be the cover of your first album (or at least the inset)! I mean the one of you with guitar rather than of Papa, though sure you could find someplace to fit that in too!

CristieMaye said...

nice post amy...i love these little glimpse's into each others lives. very fun and i bet he had such an amazing time.