Monday, July 28, 2008

Cali hot spots? Anyone?


Well, my friend and her husband are headed to Santa Barbara in a few weeks for a work conference and then some time to explore So Cal. I was going to try to recommend some great places to hit up and then realized that I'm pretty out of touch. So, if you were going to be based in Santa Barbara and then seeing California for several days, where would you go? They're not really that interested in the touristy, Hollywoody things- more like beautiful and fun atmosphered locales. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Ojai? I heard they have an amazing spa and I don't think it's all that far from Santa Barbara. We may be doing a road trip ourselves in Sept. (San Fran for sure but perhaps So Cal as well). I would love to spend a day or two in Ojai..but maybe that's because I really like the show Brother's and Sisters?

amyrenee said...

Ojai is about 30 minutes from Santa Paula... :)

It is a really cute little city, but it's really small and you have to be into relaxing or horseback riding/hiking to really partake.

I would also suggest the Central Coast/San Luis Obispo. It's great wine country, and I know Heather and Heath have had a couple of lovely trips up there, too.

CristieMaye said...

jerry and i are going on a CALI road trip in just a few weeks. we are heading out on aug. 8 and will get back on the 16th (i think). we are staying in santa barbara one night, pismo 2 nights, monterey 2 nights and san fran for three nights.

i researched a few places in santa barbara...blue sands motel and presidio motel. they are both motels but with attitude. i really wanted to stay at the presidio (supposed to be the W of motels) but it was all booked up. super cute, great artwork, minimalist. the blue sands motel is where we'll be staying while we are there and jerry got a few restaurant reccos from some friends. i'll pass them on when i get them. i found two places i want to eat in santa barbara...sojourner cafe and hungry cat. check 'em out!

that's all for now.

love,
cristie

amyrenee said...

Oh! I forgot... My favorite restaurant in SB is Elements. It's in a refitted bungalo (kind of like the red house in renton, Jenny) -- and it's bomb. Great food, wonderful location across from the courthouse. in the evenings, the courthouse is all lit up and it's beautiful! Super small and cozy.

Check it out! http://www.elementsrestaurantandbar.com/

alisha said...

Thanks guys, this is helpful!