Another weekend of amazing weather, another outdoor excursion. This time, Joey and I hiked to the top of Mt. Pilchuck- quite a challenge for me (less so for Joey although he would admit that it wasn't a total walk in the park for him either). Jenny has generously loaned Joey one of her zoom [camera] lenses for our upcoming trip to Alaska so we decided that this hike was a perfect occasion to test drive it. Although I loved it, I will say that it almost worked TOO well- I don't feel like I captured just how high up and far away everything (and everyone, namely Joey) was. Common theme for all of our outdoor adventures has been the hordes of families that completely outdo me in the fitness department- I've become all too familiar with families with babes-in-arm, toddlers, pre-schoolers and the family pet passing me on the steep climb up (this is not a hypothetical scenerio- this happens ALL THE TIME!). As I noted in a previous blog post, these Washingtonians are a hardy bunch- except for this little fury guy:











We thought this tree looked like an elephant :)

Ok, so the story on my get-up... it's a bug net that I drapped over a newly purchased hat (another Alaska trip test drive). Admittedly it looks RIDICULOUS, but the hike was extremely bug-infested and I got compliments all the way up and down the mountain for my ingenuity and foresight (one German tourist declared me the "smartest person" they'd seen all day long). All the sweeter since Joey had given me so much flack for bringing it- vindication!

We'll be in Alaska next weekend (through the first week of August)- I am sure I will have some pictures to share- keep your fingers crossed that the bears don't get to us first! Ack!
Love,
J
6 comments:
i need to buy some new clothes- just realized i am wearing the same tank tops in both blog posts.
I'm so glad you love the northwest and that you're really exploring it. Have you gone to the Quinault Rain forest or Sol Duc Hot Springs yet?
I love the mozzie net! It's always satisfying to get compliments on practicality from Germans. Also, those pictures looked really intense. I would have kept you company in the pace department I'm sure - I'm not a very good Washingtonian!
Have fun in Alaska!
ha ha...i'm not a good washingtonian either...i never hike and i don't even recognize the name of the mountain you climbed!
i think joey looks really far away...and that balancing rock shot- scary!
you and joey never cease to amaze me! glad you got a chance to test drive the lens!
super scary- there was no way that i could have perched out there on the cliff (i'd probably trip over my own feet!)
jocie, I wore a similar bug net/hat when I worked with the horses at the boyscout camp. Looks silly, but you just don't care because you're the only one not inhaling gnats.
Post a Comment