From Valdez, we took a charter boat to our final destination: Columbia Glacier.
Unloading the boat:
Leaving us to our own devices- we were the only campers in that whole area:
We spent the majority of the days kayaking amongst the glacial ice and exploring the coast line (we "discovered" a river and waterfall):
We kept all food and scented items (toiletries) across the bay inlet as a preventative measure to discourage bears from bothering us in our tents. Here's a morning view from our breakfast nook:
The "froworkers"- Carrie's nickname for us since, as she puts it, we are coworkers and friends :
After 4 days and 3 intensely cold nights (with 1 night of frightening animal activity outside of our tents), we packed it up and took the slow way home- boat back to Valdez, then ferry ride to Whittier. I napped, Joey and Carrie colored:
We had a few hours to kill in Whittier so we took the 7 minute tour around town:
And then settled in for a couple beers (I think the boys were sick of pictures at this point):
And then it was back to Anchorage via train- one of the most scenic rides I have ever been on (we even saw moose!):
This trip was truly amazing- we lucked out with our weather (it had been raining for 2 straight weeks leading up to our trip and rained the day we left), we saw so many amazing things from the landscape to the wildlife and everyone got along perfectly.
I will say this though- a shower never felt so great at the end of the trip!
5 comments:
double kayak...brilliant!
that scenery does look amazing- so refreshing...and you look so cute!
can't wait to hear about it in person, especially the animal activity part.
Joce, you guys are SO NW. What's happenend?! I love it though.
wow joce. what an adventure!
what was the frightening animal activity?? did you sleep that night? did you battle a bear with your bare hands??
the last night we were there we heard howling (not sure what the animal was- it was not necessarily a wolf, but not 100% what it was) and then rustling about around the tents and water. in the morning the otter carcass we'd previously seen was "messed with." no one ventured out of the tents to see what was going on- we were all just hoping for it to go away and it did! i was convinced i heard a bear or SOMETHING the first night, but no one else heard anything so i think it was just my anxiety!
I wish I will be able to visit Alaska one day! It's truly amazing!!!!!!
Post a Comment